The Breeders’ Cup Turf is always one of the most thrilling races on the Breeders’ Cup card and often boasts one of the richest and most international fields with contenders coming from all over the world. The race has a purse of $4 million and is run on the turf at the distance of a mile and a half. In 2015, three-year-old filly Found (IRE) gave trainer Aiden O’Brien his fifth victory in the race.
Breeders' Cup Turf Betting Tips
If you cannot make it to Santa Anita for Breeders’ Cup Turf betting this year, you can get in on all of the action through one of these recommended racebooks.
How To Win Breeders' Cup Turf Bets
The Breeders’ Cup Turf is Race 12 on the Breeders’ Cup weekend and goes on Saturday, November 5th from Santa Anita. Post time is 4:40 p.m. PDT.
Probable starters with odds
- Flintshire (2-1) – Throw out his last race – he will have a far more honest pace in the Breeders’ Cup. This true globe-trotter was 2nd in the 2014 edition, is a Group 1 winner in multiple countries and has developed into the best U.S. based turf horse in the country this year under Chad Brown.
- Found (3-1) – Still up in the air whether or not she returns to defend her crown but if she does, watch out. Won the ‘Arc this year and has proven she is back in top form.
- Highland Reel (6-1) – The “other” star for trainer Aiden O’Brien is overshadowed by his super stablemate, Found, but a legitimate threat especially at the distance of 1 ½ miles.
- Ectot (10-1) – Benefited from a tactical ride and no pace in the Joe Hirsch (G1) and will be hard pressed to pull off a repeat performance against a bigger field.
- Erupt (12-1) – He looked like the real deal in the Canadian International and could be hitting his best stride at the right time. Physically impressive looking horse.
- Ulysses (15-1) – Has not yet shown himself to be a world-beater but the European shippers are always formidable in this race.
- Ashleyluvssugar (20-1) – Home track advantage at Santa Anita but will be facing an entirely different class of horses than the California company he has been defeating
- Metaboss (20-1) – Has not been badly beaten by Ashleyluvssuger in his last two races but like that rival, this is going to be a very different level of competition.
- Money Multiplier (20-1) – He never looked comfortable on the soft turf course at Belmont Park in his last start and should excel on the tight, fast and newly installed turf course at Santa Anita.
- Mondialiste (30-1) – Second in the Breeders’ Cup Mile last year but has been able to stretch and excel at longer distances. The question is which race he winds up going in.
All entries are unofficial. Final entries and post position draw for the Breeders’ Cup Turf will take place on Monday, October 31.