Free Kentucky Derby 2021 Picks
For free Kentucky Derby picks, follow this page to learn about the horses in the 2020 Kentucky Derby, and their chances to win. The Kentucky Derby is the biggest horse race of the year in the United States, with the best horses, jockeys, and trainers all taking part. The race is over 1 1/4 miles or 10 furlongs, and worth $3 million. It will take place at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky on September 5.
|2020 Kentucky Derby Winners Odds|
|Tiz The Law||-130||-130||-135|
|Honor A P||+750||+750||+750|
To bet the Kentucky Derby online, make sure to select an online sportsbook of your choice. Many sportsbooks are offering special bonuses for the 2020 Kentucky Derby.
Kentucky Derby Field
The field for the 2020 Kentucky Derby with jockeys and trainers is:
- Tiz the Law: Barclay Tagg / Manny Franco
- Art Collector: Tom Drury / Brian Hernandez, Jr
- Honor A. P.: John Shirreffs / Mike Smith
- Authentic: Bob Baffert / John Velazquez
- Thousand Words: Bob Baffert / Florent Geroux
- Caracaro: Gustavo Delgado / Javier Castellano
- King Guillermo: Juan Carlos Avila / Samy Camacho
- Max Player: Steve Asmussen / Ricardo Santana, Jr
- Enforceable: Mark Casse / Adam Beschizza
- Ny Traffic: Saffie Joseph, Jr / Paco Lopez
- Shirl’s Speight: Roger Attfield / Corey Lanerie
- Attachment Rate: Dale Romans / Joe Talamo
- Finnick the Fierce: Rey Hernandez / Martin Garcia
- Major Fed: Greg Foley / James Graham
- Necker Island: Chris Hartmann / Miguel Mena
- Sole Volante: Patrick Biancone / Luca Panici
- Storm the Court: Peter Eurton / Julien Leparoux
- Winning Impression: Dallas Stewart / Joe Rocco, Jr.
Kentucky Derby Best Bets
- $30 Win: Tiz the Law
- $10 to Place and Show: Honor A. P., Storm the Court, King Guillermo.
- $1 Kentucky Derby Trifecta: Tiz the Law, Honor A. P., Storm the Court.
- $1 Kentucky Derby Exacta Key: Tiz the Law with Honor A. P., Storm the Court, and King Guillermo.
- 20 Cent Superfecta: Tiz the Law, Honor A. P., Storm the Court, King Guillermo, and Authentic.
Kentucky Derby Contenders
The Kentucky Derby contenders are led by Tiz the Law, the three-time Grade 1 winner this year who has won six of his seven-lifetime starts. The son of Constitution has won the Belmont Stakes (G1), Runhappy Travers Stakes (G1), and Florida Derby (G1) this year alone. Last year he won the Champagne Stakes (G1). His lone loss in his career came at Churchill Downs, which means he could be a vulnerable favorite.
Honor A. P. and Art Collector are the next choices in the betting. They have won three major races between them, the Runhappy Santa Anita Derby (G1), the Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (G2), and the Runhappy Ellis Park Derby.
Also in with a shot is TVG Haskell (G1) winner Authentic and Tampa Bay Derby (G2) winner King Guillermo.
Kentucky Derby Predictions
Favorites have been doing very well in the Kentucky Derby in recent years, and it took the disqualification of Maximum Security last year to put a big longshot on top for the first time in a decade. Because the Kentucky Derby has been so formful, it is likely Tiz the Law will win with a big performance and put himself in position to sweep the Triple Crown. He is expected to be the heaviest favorite in 28 years.
Kentucky Derby Pick 6
There are 13 stakes races Kentucky Derby week, starting on Thursday, September 3, and going through the races at Churchill Downs on September 5. The Kentucky Derby Pick 6 will include all top stakes races: the $500,000 American Turf, the $500,000 Derby City Distaff, the $500,000 Pat Day Mile, the $500,000 Churchill Distaff Turf Mile, and the $1 million Old Forester Bourbon Turf Classic leading up to the Kentucky Derby itself.
For the first time, there is a special Kentucky Oaks Day/Kentucky Derby Day Pick 6 that has a $2 minimum wager and is separate from the regular Pick 6 of both of those days. The regular Pick 6 has a minimum bet of 20 cents.
The other wagers available on Kentucky Derby day are the Pick 5, Pick 4, Pick 3, Daily Double, and the Super Hi 5. The Kentucky Oaks – Kentucky Derby double is a famous bet where you pick the winner of the Kentucky Oaks on Friday and the winner of the Kentucky Derby on Saturday.
Post positions for the 146th Kentucky Derby will be chosen on September 2. The race will run about 6 pm Eastern time on September 5.
Kentucky Derby Handicapping Tips
The best Kentucky Derby handicapping tips are to remember that the horse that wins usually did very well in its prep races. Horses who did not run well in their prep races or couldn’t win on the year very rarely win the Kentucky Derby. It is best to pick horses that have shown great ability throughout the spring and summer.
Horses who are seasoned do better than those who are lightly raced – even the great Curlin could not win the Kentucky Derby in his fourth start, because he was too inexperienced. Bet on horses who seem to be handling the Churchill Downs surface during training; the track is unlike any other surface in the country and some horses relish it, while others don’t get over it well. Horses such as Holy Bull and Skip Away had Hall of Fame careers but ran badly at Churchill Downs and nowhere else.