Latest California Legal Betting Updates
California Voters get to vote for legalizing sports betting in a General Election on November 8th, when at least 2 different sports betting measures will be on the ballot. Both measures collected enough signatures from the general public to qualify for the ballot. This is possible after the 2018 Supreme Court decision that upheld the legality of a New Jersey sports betting law, essentially killing the legal sports betting monopoly Nevada had previously held for decades.
Table of ContentsCan I bet on sports in California? California Sports Betting Timeline California Casinos Betting on California Sports Teams Top Online Sportsbooks for California
Can I bet on sports in California?
There are no legal physical sports betting venues in California, yet. It’s easy to hop over to Nevada and place a wager in the neighbouring state, but there is another option for bettors that requires no travel time. As of today, there are four different initiatives that have gained access to the November 2022 ballot or are in the process of gaining access depending on verified signatures.
A Brief Timeline of the Legality of California Sports Betting
- November 8, 2022 - The General Election in the United States and local elections in California with local measures such as the Draft Kings, FanDuel and BetMGM-backed measure for legalizing sports betting in California and a competing measure from the California Native Tribes - both measures collected enough signatures to be on the ballot.
- May 17, 2022 - The Golden State Warriors are the only California team left in either NBA and NHL playoffs. The Edmonton Oilers eliminated The Los Angeles Kings in 7 games, and Dallas Mavericks beat Phoenix Sun also in 7 games. Mavericks and Warriors will now battle for the Western Conference title and the ticket to the 2022 NBA Finals against the winner of Eastern Conference Finals, Miami Heat or Boston Celtics.
- April 15, 2022 - California voters get their opportunity to legalize sports betting in November, when the California Native Tribes' measure is on the ballot. This would legalize dice games and sports betting at Native American-operated casinos.
- March 8, 2022 - A lawsuit to invalidate a retail sport betting ballot proposal has been filed because the Supreme Court declined to hear it.
- February 25, 2022 - Over a fifth of California voters are undecided on sports betting, according to a survey from UC Berkeley. At least one sports betting option will be on November’s ballot.
- February 9, 2022 - Three tribes are looking to bring forward a sportsbook-backed ballot initiative to put mobile sports betting on the November ballot.
- January 18, 2022 - The fight to control sports betting in California gets picked up by an article in the New York Times.
- December 29, 2021 - A pair of California card rooms tried to stop one of the many sports betting initiatives for 2022, via a lawsuit.
- October 19, 2021 - Four leading California mayors voice their support for the ballot, forcing citizens to vote on sports betting in California.
- August 13, 2021 - One of the three sports betting initiatives for November 2022 faces a tough test to get passed. The California Sports Wagering and Consumer Protection Act must collect 997,139 signatures by April 2022 to be validated for the vote.
- May 28, 2021 - California voters will decide on sports betting at tribal casinos in 2022. The ballot will pose the question of allowing the tribes to offer roulette, craps, and sports betting onsite, though online sports betting will not feature in the proposal.
California Sports Betting News
Legal Sports Betting in California
Online sportsbooks are a great option for Californian residents because they do not break any state laws, are easy to use and the top sportsbooks are safe and secure. Sportsbooks like Bovada and BetUS offer competitive odds and bonuses that will keep loyal bettors happy.
Online sportsbooks can tide over sports bettors until the legalization evidently arrives, whether it’s 2021 or later, you can still get in on the action.
Play Now125% up to $2,500
Play Now100% up to $500
Play Now$500 Sign-up Bonus
Play Now100% up to $500
Play Now50% up to $1000
Play Now100% up to $1,000
Play Now$500 Sign Up Bonus
Play Now100% up to $300
Play Now100% up to $500 + $500 at BetDsi's Casino
California Sports Betting Timeline
The progress with legal sports betting in California has been a relatively short journey. Here's how things broke down over the years.
First progress with the amendment in 2020
Within days of the PASPA ruling, California Assemblymember Adam Gray announced his desire for a pro-sports betting amendment. Shortly after, California State Senator Bill Dodd joined the movement, planning to shape a bill for inclusion on the November ballot. The first sports betting hearing in California was held in January 2020, and it didn’t seem promising in terms of approval in 2020 at least.
Other states have a different approach towards sports betting. You can check the full list of US states here.
It’s projected that sports betting in California could be worth $2.5 billion per year (including online betting revenue) in California - which is wild to think that there is even an ounce of hesitation from elected officials. There are a number of great sportsbooks near Los Angeles operating today, which provide a great range of betting markets and very competitive odds.
An initiative backed by 18 Native American tribes wants to limit sports betting to physical casinos and racetracks and banning online gambling in California. This is not a shared viewpoint with Dodd and Gray.
2021 and looking forward
It’s assumed that sports betting won’t be legalized until 2021 at this rate with the COVID-19 pandemic slowing down much of the world, so Californian sports bettors still have a little way to go before they can legally bet on sports in Californian casinos or sportsbooks.
Currently, gambling in the state is regulated and limited to card rooms, tribal casinos, the state lottery, horse racing, and charitable gaming. California has 69 Native American casinos, hosting 70,000 slot machines and more than two thousand table games.
The California State lottery includes Mega Millions and Powerball, which is always well received.
Horse racing is a big deal in California – the home of Del Mar, Hollywood Park and Santa Anita, making horse betting a huge revenue stream left untapped.
So, what does all of this mean? Californian residents love to bet and legal sports betting in California will open up new jobs and significant revenue streams for the Californian government.
There are 69 Native American Tribal Casinos in the state of California - all of which could host sports betting in the near future. We've split the list by county:
Harrah’s Northern California - Amador County
Jackson Rancheria Casino - Amador County
Feather Falls Casino - Butte County
Gold Country Casino & Hotel - Butte County
Colusa Casino Resort - Colusa County
Contra Costa County
San Pablo Lytton Casino - Contra Costa County
Del Norte County
Elk Valley Casino - Del Norte County
Lucky 7 Casino - Del Norte County
Redhawk Casino - El Dorado County
Mono Wind Casino - Fresno County
Table Mountain Casino - Fresno County
Bear River Casino - Humboldt County
Blue Lake Casino - Humboldt County
Lucky Bear Casino - Humboldt County
Cher-Ae Heights Bingo & Casino - Humboldt County
Torres Martinez Casino - Imperial County
Quechan Resort Casino - Imperial County
Red Earth Casino - Imperial County
Paiute Palace Casino - Inyo County
Tachi Palace Hotel & Casino - Kings County
Robinson Rancheria Resort and Casino - Lake County
Konocti Vista Casino - Lake Count
Twin Pine Casino - Lake County
Diamond Mountain Casino - Lassen County
Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino - Madera County
Black Bart Casino - Mendocino County
Shodokai Casino - Mendocino County
Sho-Ka-Wah Casino - Mendocino County
Red Fox County - Mendocino County
Desert Rose Casino - Modoc County
Thunder Valley Casino - Placer County
Agua Caliente Casino - Riverside County
Augustine Casino - Riverside County
Cahuilla Creek Casino - Riverside County
Fantasy Springs Resort and Casino - Riverside County
Morongo Casino - Riverside County
Pechanga Resort & Casino - Riverside County
Soboba Casino - Riverside County
Spa Resort and Casino - Riverside County
Spotlight 29 Casino - Riverside County
Tortoise Rock Casino - San Bernardino
Havasu Landing Resort and Casino - San Bernardino
San Manuel Indian Bingo & Casino - San Bernardino
Barona Valley Ranch Resort & Casino - San Diego
Casino Pauma - San Diego
La Jolla Slot Arcade - San Diego
La Posta Casino - San Diego
Golden Acorn Casino - San Diego
Harrah’s Southern California - San Diego
Jamul Casino - San Diego
Pala Casino Resort & Spa - San Diego
Santa Ysabel Resort & Casino - San Diego
Sycuan Resort and Casino - San Diego
Valley View Casino - San Diego
Viejas Casino - San Diego
Chumash Casino Resort - Santa Barbara
Win-River Casino - Shasta County
Pit River Casino - Shasta County
Graton Resort and Casino - Sonoma County
River Rock Casino - Sonoma County
Rolling Hills Casino - Tehama County
Eagle Mountain Casino - Tulare County
Chicken Ranch Bingo & Casino - Tuolumne County
Black Oak Casino - Tuolumne County
Cache Creek Casino - Yolo County
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino - Yuba County
Betting on California Sports Teams
Host to 18 professional sports teams, the most of any state by 8, California has a huge sports following, and plenty of options regardless of which sport you enjoy.
With three NFL teams, The LA Rams, LA Chargers, and San Francisco 49ers, it would be hard to choose a team to root for every Sunday if you live in California! The former Oakland Raiders, now based in Las Vegas but still boasting a big Californian fan base, have won the Super Bowl three times, and the 49ers have five wins. The Rams and Chargers are newly relocated to Los Angeles within the past few years, formerly the San Diego Chargers and the St. Louis Rams.
The NBA also has four teams based out of California. The dominant Golden State Warriors are currently the state’s pride and joy, winning three of the last four NBA Finals. The other teams, the Sacramento Kings, Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers are all living in the Warriors shadows, though the Lakers might be on their way to a title soon.
California is home to five MLB teams, the Los Angeles Angels, Los Angeles Dodgers, Oakland Athletics, San Diego Padres, and the San Francisco Giants. The Dodgers have won five World Series titles in LA, the Athletics have won four, and the Angels only won one back in 2002. There is no shortage of ball games for sports fans to bet on in the summer months!
The National Hockey League boasts three Californian teams: the Los Angeles Kings, Anaheim Ducks, and San Jose Sharks. The Kings were crowned Stanley Cup Champions twice in 2012 and 2014, the Ducks in 2007 and the Sharks have made it to the big show, but were unsuccessful in taking home Lord Stanley.
In addition to all of these professional sports, there are many collegiate teams that play out of California including 11 division I college football teams, and 16 division I college basketball teams.
Top Online Sportsbooks for California
For new bettors looking to dip their toes in on an online sportsbook, we have great sportsbook reviews that can help you find a safe, secure, and easy-to-use place to bet on sports. Our reviews were compiled by experts and are honest because they use these sportsbooks themselves. Criteria reviewed include deposit options, bonuses, betting app, odds selection, sports offerings, and more.