Home to the Green Bay Packers – the state’s pride and joy, Wisconsin isn’t the first state that comes to mind when you are thinking about placing a wager on sports. Their teams aside from the Packers are all heavily underrated, and their gambling laws were written in the dinosaur era, with few changes over the years.
Wisconsin Sports Betting News
*The Malibu of the Midwest isn’t known for its gambling, but bettors have worked with the oddsmakers we’ve listed above for years. Lack of interest in law change from state governors means bettors will have to wait to play with US-based bookmakers like DraftKings, FanDuel, BetMGM, Caesars, PointsBet, BetRivers, Fox Bet, and Unibet.
Table of ContentsCan I bet on sports in Wisconsin? Betting on Wisconsin Sports Teams Wisconsin Sports Betting Legalization Timeline Top Online Sportsbooks for Betting on Sports in Wisconsin Wisconsin Casinos
You would think with the number of tribal casinos that are located in Wisconsin that they would be pushing for the legalization of sports betting, or at least an update to their gambling laws that is at least somewhat modern.
There are eight tribes that run the Wisconsin casino scene, which is a large number of stakeholders compared to some other states who only have 1-3 tribes managing the state’s casinos.
This could be the reason why sports betting legalization isn’t making any progress. What we’ve learned from other states is that when there are many stakeholders involved, it can be hard to get them to come to an agreement on the subject.
Daily Fantasy was recently legalized in Wisconsin and could prove to be a great gateway for sports betting legalization. After determining that fantasy sports are a game of skill versus a game of chance, they decided to allow DFS operators to offer contests and leagues to Wisconsin residents.
Horse and dog racing are legal in Wisconsin, and you are able to bet on both racings types, but not on-site. You are able to place wagers in-person at off-track betting locations in the state.
Can I bet on sports in Wisconsin?
Currently, there are no options for legally betting on sports in Wisconsin. However, there are no laws around online gambling, so bettors are able to place bets on sporting events from their smartphone or laptop.
Online sportsbooks are safe and secure – at least the ones we use and promote. We review the top sportsbooks in the industry and ensure you are getting all of the information before you sign up.
Signing up and betting online is fast and easy, and you are able to bet on live events at most online sportsbooks. Often, online sportsbooks have exceptional odds and you can really pad your bankroll by taking advantage of bonuses and promotions. Some sportsbooks even have loyalty programs where you can earn points, free plays, invites to events, and more.
Betting on Wisconsin Sports Teams
The most popular team in the state is the Green Bay Packers, who just hit their 100-year milestone in the NFL, and have earned 15 championships, 11 of which are pre-Super Bowl. Aaron Rodgers is a football icon and their savior as a quarterback – who seems to be struggling as of late, missing the playoffs in 2018 and 2020.
The Milwaukee Bucks are the resident NBA team in Wisconsin. They haven’t been known to be powerhouses in their division or in the league in general, but they did win one championship in 1971. They haven’t made it past the first round of the playoffs since 1990, so they need a miracle to be in an NBA Final anytime soon – especially with teams like the Warriors mulling around.
The Milwaukee Brewers represents Wisconsin in the Major League Baseball. It has won two National League Central Division titles since it began playing.
The Wisconsin Badgers college basketball team has earned a spot in March Madness in 20 of the last 21 seasons and while they have no championship yet, they did make it to the finals one of those years. They have been around almost 120 years and their time is now.
A Brief Timeline of the Legality of Wisconsin Sports Betting
- May 5, 2023 - Sports betting has been a hot topic in Wisconsin, with lawmakers and citizens alike debating the pros and cons of legalization.
- March 7, 2023 - Potawatomi Hotel Casino in Milwaukee recently opened its first-ever sportsbook, just in time for a big college basketball weekend, making it an exciting destination for sports fans.
- February 15, 2023 - There is still a great deal of pessimism about any changes to the state's sports betting bill that change in 2023 is unlikely.
- January 31, 2023 - The Potawatomi Casino Hotel has announced plans to offer sports betting through kiosks and build a dedicated sportsbook.
- November 28, 2022 - Given the sweeping changes across the United States, Wisconsin sports betting activists are hoping to see a change in 2023.
Wisconsin Sports Betting Legalization Timeline
2018-2019: A Bit of Attention is All We got
Even though the state of Wisconsin had the opportunity to open up sports betting and start collecting that tax revenue, they did not really consider it in 2018. Perhaps with the Native American casinos and state lottery, there is some resistance to more competition.
The only real mention of sports betting came when Representative Vorpagel said he wanted to bring it up in the legislature. No bills were introduced.
2020-2021: Continued Stagnation
No bills have been introduced in the state legislature in these years. Very little attention has been given to this theme. This is surprising as states were strapped for cash during the height of the pandemic.
Top Online Sportsbooks for Betting on Sports in Wisconsin
If you’re ready to sign up and start betting on sports from Wisconsin, you need to do your research before you select a sportsbook. The sportsbook that has the big bonus might not be available in your state, or not have the deposit option you want to use, so you have to consider a few different options before you hit the ‘join’ button.
We have done most of the grunt work for you. You can read our online sportsbook reviews and determine which sportsbook is a good match for you by evaluating the criteria we have laid out for you, whether it’s the deposit and payout options, bonuses, mobile-friendliness, or even the sports odds available. We can help you make an educated decision before signing up at an online sportsbook.
While sports betting isn’t legal yet, like in many US States there are plenty of tribal casinos that could be potential future homes to sports betting and sportsbooks if sports betting is legalized in Wisconsin.
- Bad River Lodge and Casino in Odanah, WI
- Ho-Chunk Gaming Black River Falls in Black River Falls, WI
- Ho-Chunk Gaming Madison in Madison, WI
- Ho-Chunk Gaming Nekoosa in Nekoosa, WI
- Ho-Chunk Gaming Tomah in Tomah, WI
- Ho-Chunk Gaming Wisconsin Dells in Baraboo, WI
- Ho-Chunk Gaming Wittenberg in Wittenberg, WI
- Grindstone Creek Casino in Hayward, WI
- IMAC Casino/Bingo/OTB in Green Bay, WI
- Lake of the Torches Resort Casino in Lac Du Flambeau, WI
- Legendary Waters Resort and Casino in Red Cliff, WI
- Menominee Casino Resort in Keshena, WI
- Mole Lake Casino in Crandon, WI
- North Star Mohican Casino Resort in Bowler, WI
- Oneida W. Mason Casino in Green Bay, WI
- Oneida Main-Airport Casino in Green Bay, WI
- Potawatomi Carter Casino Hotel in Wabeno, WI
- Potawatomi Hotel and Casino in Milwaukee, WI
- Sevenwinds Casino, Lodge and Conference Center in Hayward, WI
- St. Croix Casino Hotel in Webster, WI
- St. Croix Casino Danbury in Danbury, WI
- St Croix Casino Turtle Lake in Turtle Lake, WI