Latest Texas Legal Betting Updates
The latest sports betting bill did not pass the Texas state legislature.
Texas Sports Betting News
Table of ContentsTexas NFL Teams Texas Sports Betting Timeline Can I bet on sports in Texas? Texas Casinos Betting on Texas Teams Top Online Sportsbooks in Texas Betting on NFL Teams in Texas - Latest Odds and Tips for the 2022/23 season Betting on MLB Teams in Texas - Latest Odds and Tips for September 2022 Betting on NBA teams in Texas - Latest Odds and Tips for the 2022/2023 season
That doesn't mean that you can't bet on sports if you live in Texas. A ton of great online sportsbooks like Bovada and BetOnline accept players from Texas, and what's even better, they'll even give you a sizeable bonus if you start playing with them.
Play Now100% bonus up to $1000
Play Now100% up to $500
Play Now$500 Sign-up Bonus
Play Now150% up to $450
Play Now50% up to $1000
Play Now100% up to $1,000
Play Now$500 Sign Up Bonus
Play Now100% up to $300
Play Now100% up to $500 + $500 at BetDsi's Casino
States are seeing billions of dollars heading straight into their economy since PASPA was overturned in 2018 and sports betting became legal, so why wouldn’t Texas jump on the money train? Considering the difficulty of legalizing fantasy sports in Texas, we can only imagine how hard it will be to get the politicians on board with legal sports betting.
What makes things a bit confusing is that Ken Paxton, Texas’ Attorney General, was supporting legalized sports betting in the Supreme Court. He’s said that his opposition to the law was actually based on the states’ rights and limiting federal government power. Essentially he wants the Texas government to have the power to legalize sports betting if they desire, which they now have, so why not push a bill forward to legalize sports betting in Texas?
Currently, there is a bill filed that would authorize and regulate sports betting including mobile and online betting which would require a referendum to amend the constitution. This bill was filed by Republican Eddie Lucio, and if passed would be voted on in the November 2020 election ballot.
It is estimated that legal sports betting would add an estimated $1.7 billion to the Texas economy and create nearly 10,000 jobs. It’s clear that Texas residents are betting on sports anyway, whether it’s offshore or not, so why not regulate and legalize sports betting to reap those benefits?
A Brief Timeline of the Legality of Texas Sports Betting
- August 25, 2022 - Fanatics has more than 60 sports betting-related jobs posted on its website, with the company looking to hire more positions as hope for legal betting ramps up.
- August 11, 2022 - Going into August, there's renewed hope from betting lobbyists that things will change in 2023.
- July 28, 2022 – Despite a great deal of support from state officials, Texas will face several issues to change state law, with no further changes expected this year.
- July 2, 2022 – Sports teams representatives team up in an attempt to persuade state legislators to change the sports betting law.
- June 3, 2022 – Texas lobbyists and sports enthusiasts are hopeful that this will be the year for change regarding online sports wagering.
Texas NFL Teams
Tampa Bay Buccanneers
The Tampa Bay Buccanneers managed to clinch the title in 2021 and will hope to be able to repeat that feat again in the 2022/23 season. With Tom Brady still at QB, there is a lot of hope within the team and fans for the upcoming season. Sportsbooks share this optimism and have them at +730 to win.
The Jaguars are a way off what it takes to win a championship. But with some interesting signings, there is some hope that the team can produce some quality performances this season. Most bookmakers have them as well an outside shot at +11800 to clinch the title.
The Dolphins have made a lot of progress in recent years, building a team that can compete. Whether this Dolphins team is capable of going all the way is another story. This is reflected in the odds across major bookmakers, offering championship odds of +3700 for the upcoming season.
Texas Sports Betting Timeline
Texas has still not opened up its sports betting market. This could be a surprise given Texas's free-wheeling reputation. Let's take a look at some of the attempts over the years to get sports betting legalized in Texas.
2018-2020: No Go For Now
The first thing to know about these three years is that the Texas State Legislature only met during one of them. They do not meet during odd years, so 2018 and 2020 saw absolutely no prospect for passing sports betting bills.
But in 2019, Rep. Eddie Lucio introduced a house bill that would have legalized sports betting in the Lone Star State. Because Texas does not have any casinos at all, it would have only allowed for online sports betting.
The bill was introduced by a Democrat, and the Texas Legislature is dominated by Republicans. Plus, it would need 2/3 of the legislature to put the measure on the ballot. This makes its prospects difficult in Texas.
2021 Sports Betting Alliance Makes a Push
The Sports Betting Alliance was founded in February of 2021. This alliance is made up of five professional sports teams, and they are throwing their weight behind a change to the Texas Constitution.
These amendments would put sports betting up to a vote. This was Texas voters would be able to decide whether or not to allow for the opening up of sports betting markets in their own state. Its prospects are not bright, but the arrival of such a powerful alliance puts some air under their wings.
Can I bet on sports in Texas?
Physically visiting a venue in Texas to place a wager isn’t legal right now unless you head to the casino boat, but there are options for Texans who want to get in on the action. They are able to visit neighboring states who have legal sports betting, or sign up at an offshore online sportsbook where they can place a wager on the internet.
A sportsbook can’t be opened in Texas unless sports betting is legalized so betting on sports online at a safe and secure sportsbook is a great option for betting in Texas without even leaving the comfort of your own home.
Since the Supreme Court gave the United States the ability to legalize sports betting for themselves, new bettors are flocking to online sportsbooks to place their wagers and some don’t actually understand that they aren’t in fact breaking any laws. While Texas may not legalize sports betting anytime soon, they can indeed still place bets and bet on football or any sport as long as they have an internet connection.
There are three tribal casinos in the state of Texas who offer casino games and are regulated by the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act.
Kickapoo Lucky Eagle Casino is located in Eagle Pass and owned by the Kickapoo Traditional Tribe of Texas. The casino boasts slot machines, bingo, and poker tables with Limit Holdem, No-Limit Holdem and 7 Card Stud.
The Speaking Rock Entertainment Center is located in El Paso, owned by the Tigua Tribe of the Ysleta del Sur Pueblo. While it’s not technically a casino, the Speaking Rock Entertainment center boasts high-stakes bingo and poker.
Naskila Gaming is located in Livingston and is owned by the Alabama-Coushatta Tribe. Naskila recently reopened in 2016, after being shut down by the state. They have over 365 bingo slot machines.
There is also a casino boat in Texas called the Jacks or Better Casino based in Galveston. The ship cruises from the Galveston Yacht Basin twice a day, out to international waters where gambling is technically legal. The casino offers a sportsbook, 180 slots, and a variety of table games.
Betting on Texas Teams
We assume you know all of the Texas-based teams where the sports play such a huge role in communities, especially football. When betting on football, the options for sports bettors in Texas are the Dallas Cowboys and Houston Texans of the NFL, then 39 College Football teams including the Texas Longhorns, Southern Methodist, Baylor, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech to name a few.
The NFL games are scheduled on Thursdays, Sundays, and Mondays through the season, and bettors can find a wide range of games and options for each game. For College Football there is an even bigger betting selection as you can wager on any college football game on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
As for basketball – Texas hosts three NBA teams: The Dallas Mavericks, Houston Rockets, and the San Antonio Spurs. The NBA schedule is much denser than a football schedule, so you can expect to have plenty of Texas basketball betting opportunities throughout the NBA season.
College basketball is a popular betting option – especially in March during March Madness. Almost every Texas college or university has a basketball team, including the Baylor Bears, TCU Horned Frogs, Texas A&M Aggies, and Houston Cougars.
As for baseball and the MLB, you are able to wager on the Houston Astros or the Texas Rangers during the spring and summer months. Baseball runs opposite many of the other popular betting sports, so it’s common to bet on baseball during the football, basketball, and hockey off-season.
While not overly popular, Texans are placing wagers on the NHL. They have only one professional hockey team to bet on: The Dallas Stars. Many Texans will parlay their football or basketball bets with an NHL game for some extra juice.
Top Online Sportsbooks in Texas
Sportsbooks that OnlineSportsBetting recommends are always reputable and safe, we’ve done the work vetting these sportsbooks and we provide honest reviews of each to ensure you make the right choice based on your sports betting needs.
Betting on NFL Teams in Texas - Latest Odds and Tips for the 2022/23 season
- The Denver Broncos are outsiders to lift the Super Bowl title in 2023, with odds of +1700 at GTBets.
- The current Super Bowl holders, the Los Angeles Rams are not favorites to retain the Vince Lombardi Trophy, with odds of +1000. Though, they are a top-five team.
- Take a Look at the Over/Under for the 49ers, which is set at 9.5 wins and comes in at -140 (under) and +110 (over) at our recommended bookmakers.
- The Chargers are a great option for outrights to lift the Trophy in 2023, with odds of +1400 at Bovada.
- The Over/Under for the Rams is a great option, set at 10.5 wins and -120 for the under, and -110 for the over at BetUS.
Betting on MLB Teams in Texas - Latest Odds and Tips for September 2022
- The Los Angeles Dodgers are favorites as we head into September, with odds of +360 to win the World Series at Bovada.
- For those bettors that fancy the odds to make the Playoffs, the San Diego Padres offer some decent odds at -550 at bookmakers like GTBets and BetUS.
- The Seattle Mariners are a definite outsider shot, with odds of +2800 at BetOnline.
- Another great outside shot are the Toronto Blue Jays, who are at +1680 at BetUS to win the World Series 2022.
- A great option for California teams is the Giants, listed at +900 with BetOnline and offer some great value.
Betting on NBA teams in Texas - Latest Odds and Tips for the 2022/2023 season
- The Slovenian superstar Luka Doncic is listed at +425 to become the 2022/23 MVP at GTBets.
- The Los Angeles Clippers are offered at +700 to win the title in 2023, which is great value considering how the team are playing in the preseason.
- The Over/Under for the Clippers is also great value, at 52.5 wins, the over and under come in at -115 with BetOnline.
- The current NBA champions, the Golden State Warriors, are not going to start the season favorites to win, but are a top-3 team with odds of +700 at BetUS.
- Another certain contender for the 2023 Regular Season MVP is Steph Curry, who has odds of +1200 at Bovada.