Some of the new sports betting apps like FanDuel, DraftKings, and BetMGM have been buying up a lot of airway. However, they are not accepting players from major states like California or Texas. While these apps have been buying quite a bit of media attention, they do not tend to offer odds that are as competitive nor bonuses that are as generous. This is why they do not make it into our final recommendations. Other less popular options include Caesars, PointsBet, BetRivers, Fox Bet, and Unibet.
Sports Betting Guides for Beginners
With more betting options, you can devise more plans and betting strategies to come out on top. As you study up by reading our sports betting guides, you will be more able to take advantage of the deluge of betting opportunities and dollars that come with the large events.
It’s always a good time to look over the most important five tips for sports betting online. Come back to these perennial tips whenever you’re feeling stuck.
These tried and true betting strategies will help you make the best bets. You’ll get the hang of some of them right away, while you will have to develop lots of experience to perfect others.
Understanding the stats for sports betting online is like reading the source material. You can make your own picks, which allows you to avoid the hype and make the best sports bets online.
Having more than one sports betting account is a good idea. This way you can compare odds and make great sports bets.
What to look for in a sports betting site
When choosing a sportsbook, you may need to take into account different aspects, so you can find the best betting site for your needs. The best gambling website will be the one that best suits your needs as a bettor. So let’s explore some factors you may want to consider when choosing the best sportsbook.
- U.S. Customers Access: Certain online sportsbooks will still prove inaccessible to users in the United States. These companies are either blocking bettors from states without a sports betting policy in place or, more likely just blocking out U.S. customers altogether.
- Availability of betting bonuses: In the hyper competitive world that is the online industry, sign up betting bonuses often are the first interaction sportsbooks can have with potential clients. But what makes the best sign up bonus offers THE BEST? Through our detailed reviews of these offers’ inner workings, we’ll guide you through noise, and help you avoid the pitfalls of sneaky marketing.
- Range of sports, leagues and events: Some sports betting sites stick to the biggest events. Some of the best sports to bet on are more obscure, however. The best sports betting sites will provide stats and odds on a wide variety of sports.
- Competitiveness of odds and lines: Single-game and futures odds will vary by website. It’s important you surf around to find the odds that best fit the investment you’re trying to make. One sportsbook may be laying more enticing returns on an outcome you deem most likely.
- Speed of payouts: We all want our betting winnings as soon as possible. This is why our favorite sportsbooks will have fast payouts with a wide variety of methods.
- Quality of customer services: Customer service at sports betting sites comes in all shapes and sizes. This is because every sports bettor is also unique nad has unique needs. But we always value, speed, accuracy, and professionalism whether you’re accessing support via email, live chat, or FAQs.
Allowed deposit methods
Another important aspect is choosing an online betting sites that accepts payment methods easily available in your region.
For example, if you are betting from Canada, you will have a harder time finding a Bitcoin betting site. This payment method is much more widely available in the United States, so Canadian bitcoin bettors will have to be more selective.
Other payment methods such as American Express and PayPal are more widely available. Be sure to check out the fees by region as well. Payment method and region are inextricably wed when it comes to the best sports betting books.
How Do I Create A Betting Account?
Pick a betting site
Make a deposit
Place your first bet
The first step is finding a betting site that caters to your needs. By this, we mean it provides the payment methods you desire, has a range of sports betting markets, provides competitive odds, and offers an advanced betting platform. Something else that should matter to players is working with a company that strives to provide an enjoyable betting experience, which starts with the quality of the platform and ends with a first-rate customer service team. Not all gambling sites will meet your desires, so be sure to read through our reviews of the best betting sites until you find the right one for you.
The sign-up process should be swift. Generally speaking, legal online sports betting sites will require you to provide basic personal information without revealing too many details about yourself. Anonymity is a valued aspect of the sports betting industry, and users shouldn’t be required to provide more information than they find comfortable. It’s worth noting that when you first sign-up, the best sports betting sites will provide customers with an excellent “Welcome” or first-deposit bonus.
Once you’re signed up, it’s time to make your first deposit into your account. These days, online betting sites offer numerous ways to add funds to your account, with many customers favoring cryptocurrency as it offers anonymity and almost instantaneous movement of funds. This may be true for a large portion of the global betting market, but not all. As such, be sure that the sports betting website you choose offers a variety of deposit and withdrawal options. Look for a provider that offers credit and debit card payments, prepaid cards, crypto deposits, and even more traditional payment methods such as cheques and standing orders. Once you’ve made your deposit, sports betting sites will normally automatically add the bonus funds to your account. Sometimes, you’ll be required to use a specific bonus code.
Now you’ve got the funds in your account; it’s time to start betting! There is no linear way to do this, as what market you choose to wager on is entirely up to you. The best sports betting sites will provide a menu on the left-hand side of the screen, where you can find each sport (or other) betting market listed. Simply click the sport that suits you, then decide which betting line you are interested in. This can be slightly more difficult, as you will find the most basic option, the moneyline, and myriad options, including parlays, over/under, futures, props, & much more. Check out our sports betting guides if you want more information on these lines.
Sign Up For Multiple Sportsbooks
For many bettors, both veteran players and newcomers, signing up with multiple online gambling sites is undoubtedly worthwhile. This is often referred to as “line shopping” and has been a vital tool for bettors since gambling first went online over two decades ago.
While the Vegas line is the benchmark for the industry, all gambling websites offer unique betting odds. As a bettor, a helpful practice is signing up with various of the best online betting sites. Then, whenever you find a specific line you want to wager on, you can check the odds across multiple sites and bet on the one that offers the best value.
Sports betting online is the only way to effectively carry out line shopping. The beauty is that customers can sign-up to numerous online betting sites for free and then search for the oddsmaker that offers the best value.
This is crucial for players of all abilities to ensure they aren’t wasting money.
On top of that, when the results fall in your favor you can rest assured that you’ve maximised your profits. Check out our top bookmarkers for your favourite sports betting market, and sign up today!
Online Sports Betting 2023 Legal Updates
The legalisation of sports gambling has undergone some exciting changes in the last four years, starting with the Supreme Court ruling in 2018, clearing the way for states to legalize sports betting. The ruling struck down a 1992 federal law that had prohibited most states from authorizing sports betting, though some have been operating sports betting throughout that period.
The law has not affected many of the best online gambling sites. However, since 2018, we’ve seen a significant increase in users accessing the odds on long-standing betting websites in the US and overseas. In 2018, we saw Delaware, Mississippi, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island make sports betting legal.
In the years that followed, we have seen the vast majority of US states legalize sports betting, with just 16 showing no plans to change state law as of 2023. While this may be the case, many of these states have a variety of betting lobbyists trying to push states to try and amend their laws regarding online sports betting.
It’s worth noting that while state laws are adjusting, the betting laws are a state-by-state case. What we mean by that is some states have legalized mobile betting, while others are focused on betting sites online, which means it’s essential to check the state laws in the state you reside.
- California – Sports betting still isn’t legal in the Golden State, despite boasting some of the country’s most historic and successful sports teams. With a wave of sports betting legalisation sweeping the nation, we will likely see things adjust in the coming years. Betting sites like DraftKings and FanDuel will hope things change in the coming years, as they will garner many sign-ups from Californians. What’s more, if California state authorities decide to change the law, they will benefit from substantial tax gains as sports fans flock to take advantage of the odds.
- Florida – Aside from betting on horse racing, no legal sportsbook websites accept bets in Florida. Much like California, there are some excellent teams in the state, notably in major leagues like the NFL, NBA, and NHL. Florida has a long sporting history, and it’s a surprise to many that they still can’t wager legally in the state, though with the process of amending the law looking increasingly positive—possibly coming into play in 2023.
- Texas – As it stands, sports betting is illegal in Texas. Offshore operators are giants in Texas, many of the best we list here, as sports fans are active in the state. The Dallas Stars, Texas Rangers, Dallas Mavericks, Houston Texas, Dallas Cowboys, Houston Rockets, and San Antonio Spurs, not to mention the college teams. While it doesn’t look like state governors are interested in changing the law, we may see this stance change next year.
- Ohio – As of January 1st, 2023, Ohio is now a legal sports betting state! After the passage of bill HB 29, Ohio State Buckeyes fans have started to place their first legal bets. It took years of lobbying, so it’s excellent that things have finally changed. Ohio State betting kicked off in January, and many major sportsbooks have already begun taking bets in this state.
- Alabama – Sadly, for online and live betting, there are no options available to Alabama bettors. As one of the country’s biggest football states, a massive community of sports fans want to see, sports betting sites legalised. This is evident in the number of Alabama sports fans registered with significant betting sites like Bovada and BetOnline. We would strongly recommend keeping an eye on the betting law changes in Alabama, as this one may change sooner rather than later.
Here’s our list of best online betting sites
Bovada is great for beginners
Bovada is a great sportsbook. There’s a reason it has the largest market share in so many places. Their reputation is top-notch, as they have been delivering a solid betting experience for years and provide their users with countless sports bets. Customers can easily navigate the complete service with an interactive website and mobile app. It suits newcomers and those just dipping their toes into sports betting.
MyBookie’s customer service stands out
MyBookie has it all, but this sportsbook stands out, especially for its excellent customer service. Their well-trained representatives are available 24 hours a day. We found that the reps were attentive and well-informed about the full range of problems customers may have. Contact them via telephone, email, or live chat.
BetUS deposit methods are amazing
BetUS is an excellent sportsbook for several reasons. They especially stand out in their deposit department. They accept more than 60 types of cryptocurrencies. With the growing demand for access to digital currency payment methods, BetUS has staked its claim on being the number one for players in the US. Plus, they give some of the best bonuses around.
GTBets is great for NBA and NHL
GTBets is a relative rookie in the online betting industry. They, however, are a well-respected player. Enjoy their creative, rotating promotions and their beautifully-designed website. With decades in the game, GTBets has become a firm favorite with US bettors, with a focus on NHL and the NBA, offering a range of fantastic bonuses. This is a sportsbook you won’t want to miss if you’re a basketball fan.
BetOnline provides an exceptionally smooth betting experience. It is easy to navigate their sports and entertainment betting. While great for all bettors, this site is especially good for casual bettors. With quick deposits and withdrawals, new users can get their funds into the account and enjoy the broad range of betting markets immediately.