As one of the biggest sports states in the country with professional and collegiate teams galore, there’s no question that there’s a promising sports betting market in Pennsylvania.
With 12 casinos in the state, six of which being Racinos, there are plenty of options to play, whether you prefer a resort-style casino, or standalone. The casinos in the state bring in a whopping $3.2 billion in revenues and that number is growing.
Those six racinos are located at the racetracks, and offer thoroughbred and harness racing. These locations offer Simulcast wagering for those who want to bet on races that aren’t occurring within the state.
Can I bet on sports in Pennsylvania?
Pennsylvania legalized sports betting in November 2018, and quickly sportsbooks started popping up all over the state. The first land-based sportsbook opened in November, not long after betting was legalized, at Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course and partnered with William Hill Sportsbook.
In December 2018, two more sportsbooks opened at the Rivers Casino and the SugarHouse Casino, partnered with Kambi sportsbook. There are now eight land-based state-run sportsbooks in the state of Pennsylvania.
While having brick and mortar sportsbooks are great to have in the state, some prefer online sports betting to the real deal because it’s fast, convenient and you can participate in live betting. There are so many perks to online gambling that many don’t know about.
Luckily, the casinos and sportsbooks are allowed to operate online sportsbook apps that residents of Pennsylvania can download from their smartphones and bet online from the comfort of their homes.
Pennsylvania Sportsbooks and Casinos
Currently, the following casinos have obtained sports betting licenses in Pennsylvania and offer sports betting on site:
- Hollywood Casino at Penn National Racecourse is home to the biggest horse races of the season and is located a driving distance to Philadelphia in Grantville. Hollywood offers a sportsbook and racebook, as well as their main casino and poker room.
- SugarHouse Casino in Philadelphia is located on the banks of the Delaware River and was the most prepared sportsbook to launch in Pennsylvania due to their experience in New Jersey. SugarHouse Casino offers slots, table games, entertainment and a full in house sportsbook.
- Rivers Casino Pittsburgh was one of the first sportsbooks open in December 2018 and opened the first sports betting app in June 2019. Their BetRivers app allows sports bettors to bet at home on their phones, or they can visit the casino in Pittsburgh where they offer slots, table games and a large poker room.
- Parx Casino and Racing is the biggest casino in the state and has a full horse racetrack that offers a sportsbook and racebook with Simulcast. Located in Bensalem, PA, they offer over 3,300 slot machines, nearly 200 table games and a large poker room.
- South Philadelphia Turf Club is an off-track racebook that now offers sports betting located in downtown Philadelphia. Now, with the addition of the full live sportsbook, and many entertainment elements in the venue, it will help those living in downtown Philly gain access to sports betting more easily.
- Harrah’s Philadelphia in Chester, PA is operated by Caesars Entertainment. They offer a racebook and sportsbook at this location, as well as casino slots and table games.
- Valley Forge Race and Sportsbook is another Parx-licensed off-track betting location. They’re located in Oaks, Pennsylvania, with the same amenities as Parx.
- Valley Forge Casino is located in King of Prussia and is separate from the above Valley Forge Race and Sportsbook. The smaller casino partnered with FanDuel to offer its sportsbook product.
Sports betting apps available in the state are:
- DraftKings Sportsbook
- FanDuel Sportsbook
- BetRivers Sportsbook
- Unibet Sportsbook
- Parx Sportsbook
Betting on Pennsylvania Sports Teams
In the NFL, Pennsylvania is home to two great football teams: The Pittsburgh Steelers and the Philadelphia Eagles.
The Steelers were founded in 1933, are the oldest franchise in the AFC. They hold the record for most Super Bowl wins with six, and have played in more conference championships than any other NFL team.
The Eagles won their first Super Bowl in 2017, after a miracle season with Nick Foles coming in to lead the team to greatness. Established in 1933, they haven’t had any notable seasons until now, and are hoping to keep the momentum up and capture another title.
The resident NBA team in Pennsylvania are the Philadelphia 76ers, and they are one of the oldest franchises in the NBA. They have captured three NBA titles – but not for awhile – their last NBA title was won in 1983.
There are two MLB teams in the state, the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Philadelphia Phillies.
Founded in 1881, the Pirates are one of the oldest teams in the league and have won five World Series championships. The Phillies have been around almost as long and won two World Series championships and seven National League pennants. They went 77 years before winning their first title.
The Pittsburgh Penguins are the state’s shining star when it comes to the NHL. Founded in 1967, the team was the first of the league's big expansion – where they added six new teams to the league bringing up the total from six to 12. The Penguins have hoisted the Stanley Cup five times, two of which have been in the past decade under the leadership of Sidney Crosby.
Another team from the 1967 NHL expansion, is the Philadelphia Flyers, who were the first expansion team to win a Stanley Cup. They won back-to-back titles in ’74 and ’75, and have not won a title since.
Top Online Sportsbooks in Pennsylvania
It’s important to choose an online sportsbook that meets your individual needs. We have compiled a list of the top sportsbooks for U.S. bettors and have evaluated them on several important criteria that we feel are the most important and overlooked.
Having the deposit options that suit your needs, fast cashouts and big bonuses are important factors to consider before signing up at an online sportsbook, so take a look at our reviews and decide which sportsbook is right for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is sports betting legal in Pennsylvania?
Yes, as of November 2018, sports betting has been legal in Pennsylvania. Bettors are able to place wagers in casinos or sportsbooks in the state or bet online at an online sportsbook.
Can I bet on sports online in Pennsylvania?
Yes, sports bettors can sign up to play on any state-run online sportsbook app, or if they choose to, they are able to use offshore sportsbooks.
Are there sports betting apps in Pennsylvania?
Yes, there are half a dozen online sportsbook apps launched in Pennsylvania in 2019. Sports bettors can place a bet conveniently from the comfort of their own homes.
Is Daily Fantasy Sports legal in Pennsylvania?
Yes, sports fans are able to play in Daily Fantasy Sports contests on sites like FanDuel and DraftKings in the state of Pennsylvania.