Mississippi has been one of the more pro-gambling states in America and has always stepped up to legalize forms of gambling to help drive its economy. Once the Supreme Court struck down the PASPA ruling, Mississippi didn’t waste any time to legalize sports betting in the state.
On August 1, 2018, Mississippi took their first legal sports betting wagers, making them the fourth state to jump on board. They offer on-site betting at physical sportsbooks and offer on-site mobile betting.
The Mississippi Gaming Commission is in charge of regulating and overseeing the sports betting industry in the state. Gambling is available in water and land-based casinos, and there is talk of mobile betting coming to Mississippi in 2021. Representative Cedric Burnett filed House Bill 172 which would legalize online sports betting, allowing casinos to launch online products.
The revenue coming in from mobile betting would drastically help the economy, and with many states suffering financially through the coronavirus pandemic, we could see online betting in Mississippi before we know it.
Last year, the state took in $370 million in bets, $44 million in operator revenues and $5 million in tax revenue. Those numbers would increase tenfold if sports bettors didn’t have to visit a physical casino to place a wager.
When it comes to Daily Fantasy sports betting, many states don’t have it legalized, but Mississippi shockingly has chosen to allow FanDuel and DraftKings to operate in the state.
Can I bet on sports in Mississippi?
Yes, sports betting was legalized in August 2018 in the state of Mississippi. You can visit one of the 29 legal sportsbooks located in casinos around the state. All sports betting must be done in person, as there is no online betting being offered from any state-licensed venues.
If sports bettors really want to gamble online, there are plenty of online offshore sportsbooks that aren’t illegal in Mississippi. They are operated offshore, meaning that if you have a dispute about your gambling, you wouldn’t have the ability to bring legal matters into it.
There are over 30 commercial casinos that are all huddled along the Gulf Coast and Mississippi River. In addition to that, there are three tribal casinos lumped in the mix. The close proximity of all the casinos to one another is similar to a heavily understated Las Vegas or Atlantic City vibe.
There are 29 legal and operational sportsbooks located in commercial casinos in the state of Mississippi:
- 1st Jackpot Casino Tunica (William Hill Sportsbook)
- Ameristar Casino Hotel (William Hill Sportsbook)
- Beau Rivage (BetMGM Sportsbook)
- Bok Homa Casino (IGT)
- Boomtown Casino Biloxi (William Hill Sportsbook)
- Fitzgerald’s Tunica (Foundation Gaming Group)
- Gold Strike Tunica (BetMGM Sportsbook)
- Golden Moon Hotel and Casino (IGT)
- Golden Nugget Biloxi
- Hard Rock Casino Biloxi (William Hill Sportsbook)
- Harlow’s Casino Resort (BetAmerica Sportsbook)
- Harrah’s Gulf Coast (Caesar’s Entertainment)
- Hollywood Casino Gulf Coast (William Hill Sportsbook)
- Hollywood Casino Tunica (William Hill Sportsbook)
- Horseshoe Casino (Caesar’s Entertainment)
- IP Casino Biloxi (IGT)
- Island View Casino (William Hill Sportsbook)
- Isle of Capri (William Hill Sportsbook)
- Lady Luck Casino (William Hill Sportsbook)
- Magnolia Bluffs Casino (MBC Sportsbook)
- Palace Casino (William Hill Sportsbook)
- Resorts Casino Tunica (William Hill Sportsbook)
- Riverwalk Casino Hotel (BetAmerica Sportsbook)
- Sam’s Town Tunica (FanDuel Sportsbook)
- Scarlet Pearl Casino Resort (DraftKings Sportsbook)
- Silver Slipper Casino (William Hill Sportsbook)
- Silver Star Casino (IGT)
- Treasure Bay Casino (William Hill Sportsbook)
- Trop Casino Greenville (William Hill Sportsbook)
- WaterView Casino and Hotel (William Hill Sportsbook)
Another option if you can’t physically get to these locations is to bet on the internet at online sportsbooks.
You can sign up at an online sportsbook from your smartphone or laptop, making it easy to bet from the comfort of your own home. There are always bonuses available at the top sportsbooks that can help you double your bankroll and win more in the long run.
Betting on Mississippi Sports Teams
There aren’t really many teams to bet on in Mississippi, as they have no professional teams. They do however have some great collegiate teams that you can definitely find odds for on an online sportsbook.
The Ole Miss Rebels college football team is probably the state’s pride and joy. Ole Miss has been around for 114 seasons and has tallied 37 Bowl Game appearances, 24 of which were victories. They haven’t made it to a Bowl Game since 2015, but under new leadership from Head Coach Lane Kiffin, hopefully, things turn around.
The Mississippi State Bulldogs are the other resident college football team, locals love them, but they aren’t quite as popular as the Rebels. They have 23 Bowl appearances, consistently qualifying for Bowl Games for the past decade. They are another team with a brand new Head Coach in 2020 with Mike Leach taking the reins.
Top Online Sportsbook for Betting in Mississippi
Online sportsbooks can be daunting, as some are much better than others. The top sportsbooks have great deposit options, hefty bonuses and promotions, and even loyalty programs. Also ensuring that your online sportsbook is mobile-friendly or has its own mobile app is important to look at.
Choosing the right sportsbook is as important as the bets you’ll make. We have a full list of sportsbook reviews that you can look through, and determine which one is right for you.