With a population of over 40 million and a huge selection of professional sports teams, many Californian residents are questioning what’s taking so long for the state to legalize sports betting. The states that have legalized sports betting are already seeing exponential revenue for their economy.
Within days of the PASPA ruling, California Assemblymember Adam Gray announced his desire for a pro-sports betting amendment. Shortly after, California State Senator Bill Dodd joined the movement, planning to shape a bill for inclusion on the November ballot. The first sports betting hearing in California was held in January 2020, and it didn’t seem promising in terms of approval in 2020 at least.
It’s projected that sports betting in California could be worth $2.5 billion per year (including online betting revenue) in California - which is wild to think that there is even an ounce of hesitation from elected officials.
An initiative backed by 18 Native American tribes wants to limit sports betting to physical casinos and racetracks and banning online gambling in California. This is not a shared viewpoint with Dodd and Gray.
It’s assumed that sports betting won’t be legalized until 2021 at this rate with the COVID-19 pandemic slowing down much of the world, so Californian sports bettors still have a little way to go before they can legally bet on sports in Californian casinos or sportsbooks.
Currently, gambling in the state is regulated and limited to card rooms, tribal casinos, the state lottery, horse racing, and charitable gaming. California has 69 Native American casinos, hosting 70,000 slot machines and more than two thousand table games.
The California State lottery includes Mega Millions and Powerball, which is always well received.
Horse racing is a big deal in California – the home of Del Mar, Hollywood Park and Santa Anita, making horse betting a huge revenue stream left untapped.
So, what does all of this mean? Californian residents love to bet and legal sports betting in California will open up new jobs and significant revenue streams for the Californian government.
Can I bet on sports in California?
There are no legal physical sports betting venues in California, yet. It’s easy to hop over to Nevada and place a wager in the neighboring state, but there is another option for bettors that requires no travel time.
Online sportsbooks are a great option for Californian residents because they do not break any state laws, are easy to use and the top sportsbooks are safe and secure. Sportsbooks like Bovada offer competitive odds and bonuses that will keep loyal bettors happy.
Online sportsbooks can tide over sports bettors until the legalization evidently arrives, whether it’s 2021 or later, you can still get in on the action.
Other states have a different approach towards sports betting. You can check the full list of US states here.
There are 69 Native American Tribal Casinos in the state of California - all of which could host sports betting in the near future:
- Agua Caliente Casino - Riverside County
- Augustine Casino - Riverside County
- Barona Valley Ranch Resort & Casino - San Diego
- Bear River Casino - Humboldt County
- Black Bart Casino - Mendocino County
- Black Oak Casino - Tuolumne County
- Blue Lake Casino - Humboldt County
- Cache Creek Casino - Yolo County
- Cahuilla Creek Casino - Riverside County
- Casino Pauma - San Diego
- Cher-Ae Heights Bingo & Casino - Humboldt County
- Chicken Ranch Bingo & Casino - Tuolumne County
- Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino - Madera County
- Chumash Casino Resort - Santa Barbara
- Colusa Casino Resort - Colusa County
- Desert Rose Casino - Modoc County
- Diamond Mountain Casino - Lassen County
- Eagle Mountain Casino - Tulare County
- Elk Valley Casino - Del Norte County
- Fantasy Springs Resort and Casino - Riverside County
- Feather Falls Casino - Butte County
- Gold Country Casino & Hotel - Butte County
- Golden Acorn Casino - San Diego
- Graton Resort and Casino - Sonoma County
- Hard Rock Hotel & Casino - Yuba County
- Harrah’s Northern California - Amador County
- Harrah’s Southern California - San Diego
- Havasu Landing Resort and Casino - San Bernardino
- Jackson Rancheria Casino - Amador County
- Jamul Casino - San Diego
- Konocti Vista Casino - Lake Count
- La Jolla Slot Arcade - San Diego
- La Posta Casino - San Diego
- Lucky 7 Casino - Del Norte County
- Lucky Bear Casino - Humboldt County
- Mono Wind Casino - Fresno County
- Morongo Casino - Riverside County
- Paiute Palace Casino - Inyo County
- Pala Casino Resort & Spa - San Diego
- Pechanga Resort & Casino - Riverside County
- Pit River Casino - Shasta County
- Quechan Resort Casino - Imperial County
- Red Earth Casino - Imperial County
- Red Fox County - Mendocino County
- Redhawk Casino - El Dorado County
- River Rock Casino - Sonoma County
- Robinson Rancheria Resort and Casino - Lake County
- Rolling Hills Casino - Tehama County
- San Manuel Indian Bingo & Casino - San Bernardino
- San Pablo Lytton Casino - Contra Costa County
- Santa Ysabel Resort & Casino - San Diego
- Shodokai Casino - Mendocino County
- Sho-Ka-Wah Casino - Mendocino County
- Soboba Casino - Riverside County
- Spa Resort and Casino - Riverside County
- Spotlight 29 Casino - Riverside County
- Sycuan Resort and Casino - San Diego
- Table Mountain Casino - Fresno County
- Tachi Palace Hotel & Casino - Kings County
- Thunder Valley Casino - Placer County
- Torres Martinez Casino - Imperial County
- Tortoise Rock Casino - San Bernardino
- Twin Pine Casino - Lake County
- Valley View Casino - San Diego
- Viejas Casino - San Diego
- Win-River Casino - Shasta County
Betting on California Teams
Host to 18 professional sports teams, the most of any state by 8, California has a huge sports following, and plenty of options regardless of which sport you enjoy.
With three NFL teams, The LA Rams, LA Chargers, and San Francisco 49ers, it would be hard to choose a team to root for every Sunday if you live in California! The former Oakland Raiders, now based in Las Vegas but still boasting a big Californian fan base, have won the Super Bowl three times, and the 49ers have five wins. The Rams and Chargers are newly relocated to Los Angeles within the past few years, formerly the San Diego Chargers and the St. Louis Rams.
The NBA also has four teams based out of California. The dominant Golden State Warriors are currently the state’s pride and joy, winning three of the last four NBA Finals. The other teams, the Sacramento Kings, Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers are all living in the Warriors shadows, though the Lakers might be on their way to a title soon.
California is home to five MLB teams, the Los Angeles Angels, Los Angeles Dodgers, Oakland Athletics, San Diego Padres, and the San Francisco Giants. The Dodgers have won five World Series titles in LA, the Athletics have won four, and the Angels only won one back in 2002. There is no shortage of ball games for sports fans to bet on in the summer months!
The National Hockey League boasts three Californian teams: the Los Angeles Kings, Anaheim Ducks, and San Jose Sharks. The Kings were crowned Stanley Cup Champions twice in 2012 and 2014, the Ducks in 2007 and the Sharks have made it to the big show, but were unsuccessful in taking home Lord Stanley.
In addition to all of these professional sports, there are many collegiate teams that play out of California including 11 division I college football teams, and 16 division I college basketball teams.
Top Online Sportsbooks for California
For new bettors looking to dip their toes in on an online sportsbook, we have great sportsbook reviews that can help you find a safe, secure, and easy to use place to bet on sports. Our reviews were compiled by experts and are honest because they use these sportsbooks themselves. Criteria reviewed include deposit options, bonuses, odds selection, sports offerings, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions about gambling in California
Is sports betting legal in California?
No, there is no current legislation for legal sports betting in California but there is hope that the Native American tribal casinos will file a motion to have it legalized in their casinos by November 2020.
Is online gambling legal in California?
There is no state-run online gambling sites in California. Offshore sportsbooks aren't monitored by local authorities, so they are not illegal. Their dated laws make it easy for offshore sportsbooks to offer their products in the state.
Are there any sportsbooks in California?
No, currently there are no physical sportsbooks in California as it is not legal to bet on sports in the state. Offshore online sportsbooks are the only option for sports betting in the state of California.
Where can I bet on sports in California?
Currently, the only place to gamble on sports in California is online at offshore sportsbooks, there are safe and reputable online sportsbooks you can easily sign up for from the convienence of your home.
Is DraftKings legal in California?
Yes, all daily fantasy sports are legal in California, making it easy for sports fans to sign up at DraftKings or other sites like FanDuel.